Thursday, September 18, 2014

Metacognitive Blog: And Then There Were None

        From my first to my last draft, I changed many things.  One thing that changed was my grammar and sentence structure.  In my first draft, I had run-on sentences and improper grammar.  My essay was also very choppy and didn't flow smoothly.  However, after many revisions and peer checks, my paper flowed together and was kept in one tense (present tense).  Another thing I changed in my paper was adding explanation of why the details supported the main idea, which is also called commentary. 
        Sharing my essay with an adult was the best way for me to improve my essay.  This is because I feel like I can learn a lot from my parents, since they both know how to format and write an essay.  I also am a better learner when I listen to someone talk, so I understand when my parents help me rather than the written feedback.  I enjoyed the peer review checklist, but I don't feel as confident with a student, who is the same level as me checking my work.  Having my parents check my essay improved my essay the most.  
        Something that will help me improve my writing this year is expanding my vocabulary and learning how to outline an essay.  Expanding my vocabulary will help give my writing more excitement and interesting.  Learning how to outline will also help improve my writing because it will let my essay flow easier and sound correct.  
        This year, I feel like I can grow in many areas such as grammar, sentence structure and my vocabulary.  All of these things will help me grow into a stronger, better writer and will improve my writing greatly.  One goal I would like to achieve would be to learn at least 20 new words that I can use in everyday writing by the end of the school year.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Way to be specific in your answers. Thank you for being so thorough. I'm glad to hear that sharing your essay with your parents was helpful. I always shared my writing with my dad before I would every turn it in. He was a huge help! We will work on grammar, sentence fluency, and diction (word choice) all as a class this year, so you're in luck! :) I know that you're going to grow as a writer this year because you want to!

    ReplyDelete